The more accurate diary. (Old stuff)

Warning: These are old.

December 1st
Picked up Matthew Wilcox from the coach station, headed out for meal. Matthew says he now understands why I mention electronic gadgets so often when I refer to meals with certain people: we didn't work the bill out on them, but mobiles were much in evidence when trying to track down two pairs of people, and Alan started reading the news headlines off his phone whilst we were waiting for things.

We had to be out by nine pm to make way for another big party, so we came back here for ice-cream and hot chocolate and I am cleaned out of ice-cream now. We started with four cartons, and there were only seven of us. (Some of them were not full when we started, admittedly, but all the same..)

Matthew discovered the bandwidth here and did an apt-get dist upgrade or something. "Hmm. I should get Mozilla, too. And there's that CVS tree I could check out..." I left him and Alan to the joys of the computer room.

November 30th
I expect something happened today other than Alan gloating about his knowledge of the Data Protection Act but I can't think what, other than my frantic ringing around restaurants finding one with space for a party the following night. (Two birthdays, one guest, various combinations of X can't come on one night, Y can only come on that night, Z won't eat Indian and so on.) To my disgust, everyone seems to be booking Christmas meals. It is not fair on people who have birthdays in December and January, really it's not! Apparently the restaurants hate this season too: everyone rings up booking twenty seats to be on the safe side very early, they have to turn other bookings down, and then the big parties start whittling down: "Oh, there's only seventeen of us now... fourteen..." and the restaurants are left with spare seats after all. Booking for later in December is proving a real pain.
November 29th
Oh dear. Letter today about demanding information about fire provision under the Housing (Multiple Occupancy) Act or some such. Posted before the visit, but Alan got cross and said, "No, forget your reply, I am going to reply to this one." He did. Ouch.
November 28th
Months ago, we got a letter from the council asking whether we were still a "multi-occupancy house": one rented out to students and so on. I rang up, said no, corrected the spelling of my name, and that was that. Yesterday, we got another asking the same question and announcing that as we hadn't responded, the council would be coming to check. So I rang up, said no, corrected the spelling of my name again, and that was that. Today, the man came to check we weren't a multiple-occupancy house. (This basically involves counting the bed in case it turns out to be beds and looking for things like five locked doors with five televisions and beds behind them. And checking the cellar. I boggled.) Argh. Alan was showing his best side: he'd only finished dinking with the HP box at about 7am and was still occupying the bed.

"Just two people? In this house?" "Well, we need the space, he works from home". "Oh? Doing what?" "You'll see..." "Good god, that's a few computers! What do you do?" [Inward groan] "Well, he works for... ur.. a company that makes software and an operating system that's a free alternative to Windows." "Oh! I've heard of that!" [Boggle]. "Really?"

So I showed him a pretty desktop, and flipped a few themes around, and tried to find a graphical app I actually had installed on the computer, because lots of gnome-terminals apparently look scary, even if they are sweet and fluffy colours, and he asked a few questions, and then he went off declaring he would buy it next time he was at PC World. Eep.

November 27th
Rained heavily, even more so than usual. Apparently this is now the wettest autumn in Britain since records began. I have not dared look at the water level in the cellar. Alan came to bed at about seven am and by the time he woke up, it was almost dark again. We went shopping. He pushed me into puddles in town and thought it was very funny.
November 26th
Person visiting to take away a bunch of books and so on today did not show up. I could have gone to Dublin or London after all...

Watched the Wales-South Africa match on the television and um. Well. I really thought that an IRC conversation which had to break off for us both to find the television and watch the match was going to be picked up again with me bouncing and crowing, but alas not.

Up appallingly late at night, ending up in a bizarre "Imagine a GNOME adventure game" conversation on IRC. "You are in a room. There are 256 bonobos here". "You attack the panel! The panel slides away from you! You miss!" And so on. Well, it seemed funny at the time. Alan was up even later.

November 25th
Owing to indecisiveness, having to wait for other people and events first, and a combination of other factors, of the three events I wanted to attend today, guess how many I got to? One in Dublin (a linux thing), one in London (nothing remotely to do with Linux) and one in Cardiff (Oysterband gig). Of course. None.

I seem to have lost Alan. We appear to be at opposite ends of the sleep-wake cycle. I am rapidly going off this HP stuff.

November 24th
People have apparently been trying to ring us and getting our ansaphone. This is confusing me, because we have no (working) answering machine.

Alan has realised that his web to phone program was a mistake after I started sending him messages out of curiosity (and for the entertainment value, I admit it). This is the first time he has written a program which causes me more amusement than him.

November 23rd
Thanksgiving in America would be a nice time to mess with CVS without anyone over there noticing. Alas, the machine crashed. Miguel's birthday: he must be a secret hobbit, because he was buying things for other people.

Alan kept trying to print things. We had to unjam the printer (which now works, thankfully). He has stopped sending me text messages on the phone, thankfully, but I have now got "Win lots of money!" messages from the phone company instead. Not impressed.

Watched some more of the Edge of Darkness DVD we got recently. I had forgotten quite how fabulous this was. Discovered comments from IMDb readers that most American networks wouldn't show it, and the one that did cut 45 minutes out of it. I expect that'll be the bits about big business corruption and messing about with other countries' plutonium.

Played with aspell. I must have some US dictionaries installed from the days of ispell, because I got the most incredible results. "leaves" wasn't acceptable, and one of the suggestions for "documentor" was "tormentor". I am hurt. I think I need to nuke the spelling programs and dictionaries and start again anyway, because a year or so ago I accidentally managed to add every word from Jabberwocky into the dictionary of acceptable words.

Found out that American papers are apparently either not reporting the UN climate conference at all, or are reporting it as "America improving chances of treaty". Boggle. (Yes, the media here is slanting it slightly differently.)

November 22nd
Played with scripts and bash. Gave up waiting for Alan to burn some CDs, and sent some books to a friend without the CDs.

Weather still typically wet. Alan still lurking around the computer room doing I have no idea what. I summoned him to remove another woodlouse and everyone laughed at me. Alan has been going on rampages on E-bay again. I am scared now. He says he has bought "worms".

November 21st
Spent far too long with a book with two owls on the front and the one about bash. (I have to change a bunch of docs to fit a new template.) Gave up. Summoned Alan. Alan first shocked me by suggesting perl (this is not his normal tactic) and then regained sanity and started messing with C. Three hours later, he had a program which worked (partially) on a whole two of the too-many-to-count docs I was supposed to convert, which involved a bunch of small but necessary changes, So he released it on the grounds that twenty-odd people would debug it faster than he could. Or at least complain, very loudly. (If they don't, I shall.)

Weird programmers. He was downstairs typing at my computer doing this, and I discovered that he sings "bom bom, bom-di-bom" to himself whilst doing all the routine bits. "Do you do this when I'm not listening?" I asked. He admitted, "Well. Sometimes." Sing-a-long-a-kernel-hack, my gods. I laughed a lot, and in retaliation, he read all his mail downstairs, too. I got bored.

Forced Alan to empty his pockets after yesterday's visit to the house we are trying to sell. Accumulated about 20 pence in varied countries' coinage.

November 20th
For reasons known only to him, Alan decided to put a open tin of baked beans on top of the cupboard out of my reach, and spilled it. He says it is my fault. We had to get the ladder to clean it up.

Watched the Iron Man on DVD. Squabbled pointlessly over whether it counted as a fairy tale, which was fun, if unresolved.

Panicked about visas for Australia. Living in the UK, it emerges we need them. Acting on advice from the nice man on the phone at the High Commission, rang a friendly travel agent who fixed up "ETA"s for us. "You're sorted now. It's all in the computer." Prayed it was a friendly computer.

Alan nearly bought a copy of the Third Man on E-Bay. But somebody else bought it for more. Boo hiss.

Attempted to explain the Great British Pantomime to an American friend. There appear to be no good explanations of this for the panto-deprived on the net. Someone needs to write one before I do. (Note: it has nothing to do with people with white make-up making gestures without speaking. No.)

November 19th
Discovered a use for one of Alan's useless programs. He has been annoying me by sending SMS messages to my phone. But I know his mobile phone number, and he just put his "send SMS messages to a phone number from a computer" program up... This is fun. I like this game.
November 18th
Alan has gone completely overboard with the WAP stuff. He has been explaining how awful it is for months, but has now found ways to make it do silly things, so suddenly it has a use. I still want the Guardian crossword on it, but I fear I am out of luck there. He is now trying to WAPificate anything he can.

He's also grabbing all the stuff he was writing in preparation before before the iPAQ turned up and shoving them onto the iPAQ. Some moons ago,I observed that it would be cute to have an application for magnetic fridge poetry. It's already been done in Java on the web, I found, but Alan started playing with the gnome canvas and along came gnome-fridge. It wasn't very useful, since all the little "magnets" all said the same thing -- "Hello, Fridge" -- but it was a start. Apparently he's now removing the GNOME stuff and putting it on the iPAQ.

Spent most of the day trying to scribble down Alan's LinuxTag talk and realising that it's awfully hard. I don't think I'm quite ready for getting into the OLS Transcription Project yet: they're doing it properly and just scribbling who said what down is hard enough. (And anyway, I found a list of things I promised to do and realised I should perhaps do some of them at some stage.) Alan was very happy until I informed him I expected him to fill in all the inaudible bits.

Alan was up until late again and wandered downstairs and finally caught and evicted the slug that leaves little trails just outside the shower. Hooray!

Woodlice evicted since return: three. Matters are improving.

November 17th
I could get far too used to grocery shopping on the net. The amount of alcohol you can get someone else to carry for you is staggering. I'm not sure Alan approves, especially as I forgot his favourite items of food and drink.

Rediscovered some .ogg files I had downloaded ages ago and spent far too long attempting to install something, anything, which would play them. I found a Mandrake cooker rpm of ogg123, which I couldn't rebuild. I found there were plugins for xmms, but I couldn't get through to the site at the time. In the end, downloaded and compiled freeamp and got toally and utterly lost by the UI, after core-dumping it (surprise). The wizard won't talk to me any more, and I can't find its dot files. Eventually grabbed the CVS nightly tarball of stuff from the vorbis site and started mucking about. Had to summon Alan, but finally made rpms from it (hey, working specfiles in the tarball -- yay!) although I had to comment the docs-building stuff out. Played the ogg files, remembered I'd promised a transcript of one of them to someone, and opened the wine from Austria instead. Watched some more Edge of Darkness and sulked about forgetting to video Scrapheap.

The NTL man arrived to transfer some line or other (I have no idea: I am totally lost on this stuff) to here instead of the other house. He plugged it all back in and plugged the phone line into the modem, which may explain the lack of a few phone calls I was expecting. Oh well. If you were one of the people involved: sorry. It wasn't my fault!

November 16th
Caught up with lots of stuff. Tried to catch up with all the work I took to Vienna with me and then had no time to do. Didn't.

Alan was lost in his email, and has as a result of his playing with WAP, his phone, and his email, finally admitted that the machine he reads email on need procmail. Yes! I still read some email there, and very painful it is too: that's the address which gets the most spam. It's an old machine which he just never got around to upgrading: a 486 with 8 megs of RAM. It used to have the printer on it, too, but Alan kept hitting 'p' in elm by mistake and the whole machine would stop whilst it tried to print.

I wandered around making notes about What To Do To The House Next (filling in the holes in the walls where we ripped the old gas fires out is right up there at the top of the list, along with plastering and putting the skirting boards back for half the bottom of the house. I have the nasty feeling plaster dust is going to be very bad for my computer and I am wondering whether switching it off whilst this goes on and covering it with clingfilm or something is safe or just very stupid and liable to land me in lists of "stupid tech support calls". I suspect the latter.

November 15th
Mad tourist time. Admired the interior of the Stephansdom, and headed up to the bell tower (in a lift!) and down into the catacombs, where the past worshippers there now lie, along with jars full of Hapsburg intestines, as the guide so cheerfully phrased it, and the remains of the plague pits. Very strange experience. Then off around the town again. Cakes, frites, and hot chestnuts from the street sellers. Jumped onto the tram (bim bim! bim bim!) to ride around the Ring, a ring where the walls were pulled down last century and they built half the really cool buildings (everyone I met in Vienna could tell me the history of at least one building or architect. Amazing).

Then back to Tamer's to pick up the luggage and depart mournfully to the airport. Matters were enlivened by a monster traffic jam on the road, and I had visions of our visit to Oslo, where we arrived so late at the airport that we were now on standby and had about ten minutes to clear customs and bolt down about a mile of corridor to the furthest gate in the airport. Thankfully, things went a little more smoothly this time, and we arrived safely in London in the rain at 9.15pm, waited for our coach (11.25: Alan was playing safe with the booking) amid the chaos that is Heathrow's bus station, compared it unfavourably with towns where everything is signposted, and the timetables list all services, not just random ones (at one stage, the screen informed us that the next coach was at 8am) whilst Alan got his phone WAP stuff working again ("I knew having it restart daily in case there was a problem would be a good idea -- and anyway, it was easier to write it that way"). Coach arrived, and we tumbled out at the Swansea end at some unsociable hour in the morning, at which stage Alan was feeling wide awake.

November 14th

Alan did some interview for a magazine and it has been trying to get a photograph of him for ages. Finally, a photographer caught up with us, and Tamer and I got to watch as the photographer had Alan cuddle penguin toys, look off into the distance on the U-bahn (much to the confusion of the other passengers), ascend and descend escalators, and stand in front of terminals and great big machines. This last required access to one of the machines room at the university, and I frankly boggled at it. About all I understood or recognised was the vt520 terminals (I have a vt420 and I won't throw it out because I like the font and the keyboard and I live in hope of finding the control codes for cut and paste which people tell me exist). The machines were just scary.

We went to the Naschmarkt, which seems a little hard to translate: apparently naschen is to do with "how you eat sweets". It's full of spices, kebabs (Alan liked that bit), and about fifty stalls selling nothing but olives and sheep's milk cheese. Regrettably, I had to conclude packing those latter two would be tricky.

I don't know how Alan does it, but there is no trip he makes where he is unable to find a broken Windows display. In the U-bahn, there were rotating adverts provided by some kind of projection, and plastered all over one on the advert spaces was the German-language equivalent of the dialogue telling you about an application encountering a fatal error. He was very happy, and took a photo. What a lovely memento of Vienna. Mmm.

In the evening we went to the Riesenrad, the big wheel that made an appearance in the Third Man, and I was shocked to discover Alan has never seen the Third Man; nor did he recognise the quote about "In Italy under the Borgias..." After that, we went to a cafe rotating around the top of a very tall tower, which was rocking in the wind. (You could hear it creaking!) It was built 15 years ago. The Riesenrad was built a century ago. Guess which one I felt more safe in?

November 13th

As a result of the late night, a late morning, although we made it to lunch with Philip and Sid (who is really Andreas, in that engaging way that net users tend to have). We headed to the university (ooh. Terminals with GNOME on them!), avoided having to use the teletype which they keep as a nice toy (Alan started suggesting useful things it could do, to everyone's disbelief), and on hearing we had as yet no Burgenland wine, Philip produced two bottles. (For later, I add.)

Then it was time for Alan's talk. Lots of activity and the room started filling up very early. Alan was supposed to be interviewed, so he went shopping for food instead (sigh) and I fear all the tape of the interview will have is Alan trying to talk and eat at the same time.

Alan did his talk, and then there were lots of questions. And then we (which was about twenty people) went for food. I can't think how it is that if twenty people wander around looking for food, they eventually find somewhere decent, and yet if Alan and I want to go out, everywhere is booked up. We caught the last U-bahn back, so it must have been a good night :)

November 12th

Tamer had somehow acquired tickets to the Spanish Riding School at Vienna at short notice (my Rough Guide reckoned you needed to book months in advance) so to my delight and amazement we finally got to see the dancing horses. Ahem. It's a little more refined than that, but it's horses and music, so.. The building they use is incredible: built in 1735 and as unlike the menage where I, at the age of ten, attempted to learn how not to fall off horses when they walk in a straight line that there's no comparison. I have forgotten everything I ever knew about riding except the horror of trying to make a horse start a canter on the leg you want it to, so seeing horses change leading leg every step was a bit unnerving. Show-offs, say I.

In the afternoon we headed for Burgenland, the easternmost part of Austria, bordering with Hungary, famed (according to locals -- including Tamer, who doesn't even drink the stuff!) for its wine. We started at the Neusiedlersee, a colossal flat shallow reed-surrounded lake, and then wandered around the Roman ruins of Carnuntum: this was their eastern border against the barbarians, apparently. I was delighted to find that the Danube really is blue -- at this part, at least -- and not the colours I had heard about as the result of industrial pollution.

We visited Tamer's parents and had a most fabulous Egyptian meal (as you do in Austria, yes..) although the pumpkinseed oil, they assured us, was from Styria and "very Austrian". Mahalabiya, however, is probably not at all Austrian :)

On our return we caught the Bim (bim bim!) and admired the statue of Strauss on the Ring. And then to bed -- well, for me. Like most nights, Alan and Tamer stayed up talking about all manner of things I didn't understand. Surprise.

I missed the final of Scrapheap. Forgot to set the video. Waah. And it looks it was fun.

November 11th

Dragged ourselves away from demos of Parsec and then of Wine successfully coping with Monkey Island IV to see something a bit more typical of Vienna: the Schönbrunn, one of the seats of the Habsburg family who ruled here until recently (note for Americans: recently means "last century"). The Great Hall really did live up to its name: I spent so long staring at the painted walls and ceiling that Alan and Tamer had to come back to find me because they were several rooms ahead and I had the tickets to get into the next part. Apparently the place was modelled on Versailles, so the grounds were stunning. We walked around them for a few hours and still saw only about a tenth of them. My poppy (I don't know how other countries observe it, but the 11th of November is the day everyone wear poppies in the UK in memory of the world wars) wilted.

Food in the evening suggested by Tamer's sister: Schnitzelwirt, which is clearly the local backpackers' and students' main destination: the portions are colossal. We decided to have a walk before dessert as a result, and I decided we needed to do the tourist thing and have "real" Sachertorte at the Sacher Hotel, where in a conversation about what drinks to have, the waitress said, "Is very nice, and not expensive" which made me think that perhaps we weren't dressed to the standard of the decor.

I discovered to my delight that the local trams are called the "Bim" because of the sound of the bells they use when cars are in their way. I don't know why, but I thought this was a wonderful name. Bim bim!

On return, had a look at the television. There has been a most horrendous disaster in Austria: a fire in a train in a tunnel. :(

November 10th

Off at silly hours in the morning to the airport, and thence to Vienna, to stay with one of the guys Alan met at LinuxTag in summer.

There were prawns in the airline food. I must find out how you get the veggie meals. I never seem to know where and when you request that.

Tamer picked us up, and we started off in this city of history and culture by going to the local fast food chain, Wienerwald, with Raymond and Heinz, whose name I have probably spelled wrong. Then we found a bar and I discovered dunkles bier, which is described as a little like stout, but I think it's more like the "scotch" (the beer, not the spirit) that you get in the north of England. Very nutty. Wandered around the town after going "Oooh" and "Ahh" (but not "Hic!") at the place, with Alan trying to stop me bouncing about trams. (I have this thing about public transport, and we don't have trams here. Waah.)

Alan had been gloating about his new improved "get email via WAP on his phone" idea, but it didn't work. Which is probably just as well. He had to be sociable instead. Oh the horror.

November 9th

Large monitor arrived in lots of bubble wrap. After my attempt to requisition it failed, I was faced with the problem of getting all the bubble wrap downstairs again. Alan threw it all over me. I love him, I do. I looked at the sheer quantity of it and at the length of the stairs and sanity did not prevail.

I came back to earth with a bump and the realisation that on IRC Alan was telling everyone "Oh dear. Telsa is sliding down the stairs on a heap of bubble wrap, going 'Wheee'".

Matters degenerated, and he is in no position to cast stones anymore. Just don't ask.

Gnome election results came out, after a late attempt to claim we needed a recount in Hawaii failed after half the channel volunteered to be flown to Hawaii to do it. Pooh, they're spoilsports. I was looking forward to offering to count there...

November 8th

It must be a subconscious thing. I must have felt left out of all the floods in Britain. It's the only explanation I have for why, when doing Like The Manual Said and cleaning the lint trap, I didn't put it back in firmly enough and I created my own flood all over the new kitchen floor.

People keep talking about the election results on IRC being imminent and these trouble-makers in Florida being slow, and I keep thinking, "I didn't realise we had anyone from Florida standing for the GNOME Foundation". It's so confusing.

I bet any Florida residents who claimed "Why vote? One vote can never make a difference" are feeling a bit silly now.

November 7th

Really strange thing. Alan has been getting up at very nearly reasonable hours until today. Like, before 10am. Consistently. For a month. I am at a complete loss.

Voting day. No, not those silly foreign elections. GNOME. Like a lot of other people, I got my list down to thirteen people and then got stuck. (You got eleven votes.) I didn't quite get to the stage of sticking a pin in the list (well, it could do bad things to the monitor!) but it was a close-run thing.

November 6th
I have a cold and am sulking about it. Moan. Whinge. I can't decide whether I am too hot or too cold, I am running out of tissues, and my bones ache. Yuk. I don't like this.

Tried Tescos site again: a newer Mozilla behaves with it a lot better. I suppose I should get the latest and then update my bug to say "okay, well, maybe I was wrong..". How embarrassing.

Was all set to get to bed by nine until friends we rarely see rang the doorbell. "We're at the pub! That one, there!" (pointing to the one over the road).. Well, ill or not, how could we say no? (Alan has decided he too has a cold and so it must be my fault. Needless to say, I disagree vehemently.

My printer will no longer talk to my machine. It worked with RH 6.x, but I fear the combination of non-standard printer drivers (or filters, or something) from a kind person who saw my previous woes, and this silly LPRng have upset it.

November 5th
Went to the shops with friends "before the storm hits". It rained, and rained, and rained, and rained. We all got very wet. Around 6 in the evening, it started to brighten up a bit, and that was the end of our storm. Apparently it came early and we picked the wrong time to go shopping.

Alan tried to poison me today. He was trying to be helpful, and found some hot and sour soup for me because I had a cold. I got to the bottom before we found the prawns which had sunk to the bottom in it. (I am allergic to shellfish: or so we thought. I have not died yet, though, so either these were fake prawns or I am not so allergic after all. Which is a bit of a surprise after twelve years of avoiding them after an, um, unfortunate incident.)

November 4th
Still no floods here, and in fact it was bright sun, so I went to watch the rugby whilst Alan stayed at home doing "important things". I think watching Swansea play Cardiff is important too! (The important things turned out to be, "folding all the packing boxes from the move up". No comment.)

Floods elsewhere. I love the town of York: my dad used to test his history tours for his students out on the family first, so I used to know it well. (Don't ask me hard questions: I've forgotten most of it now.) There is a hall from centuries back called the Merchant Adventurers' Hall which has great banners from all the mediaeval guilds hanging from beams in it. (School exercise: draw a banner. Ahem.) And I seem to remember that downstairs in it, there are marks carved into the walls to show where the waters reached in previous great floods. I am wondering whether they will have a new one for 2000.

Shipping forecast had gale warning for about half the different areas it covers. We have someone coming to pick up all the rubbish from our moving in, others moving out, wallpaper-stripping, and so on next week: I fear he'll have to collect half of it from the Mumbles or Port Talbot, because it's in the back yard and there is no way we can tie it down more than it is now.

The public fireworks displays are off and people are letting their fireworks for the back garden off tonight instead of tomorrow. Whee! Bang! Fizz!

November 3rd
More warnings of storms. Comment from a friend in Yorkshire, when asked whether things were as bad as the news suggested. "Worse. They sent the Prime Minister."
November 2nd
Finally we have doorbells and chimes dotted around the house so that I can hear the wretched thing. (The doors are fire doors so with them closed, it gets hard to hear things.) Alan has been fascinated with the two different noises ("ding-dong" or "ding-dong-ding-DONG") and switching them around and testing them. Oh dear.

Weather still very very wet. Forecasts are for the storm of the century on the Sunday. This is unfortunate as Sunday is November the fifth, which is the day when Britain celebrates the foiling of the attempt to blow up the House of Lords whilst it contained Lords, Commons and monarch. Well, we're suppose to celebrate the foiling, but it seems quite common to celebrate the attempt. Since this involves fireworks and bonfires, this is the wrong day for a storm.

November 1st
Washer-drier arrived. Mad frenzy of washing and drying anything available. It turns out that it beeps when it's finished, which sent me into gibbering panic. ("It doesn't say anything about beeping in the book: is it broken already?")

Malcolm Tredinnick (who is the other half of the gnorpm-hacking combination along with Alan) worked out that we have closed over 900 gnorpm bugs. (They're all the same three or four bugs, really, but they get reported a lot.) Unfortunately, people with the old packages are still reporting them. Only 650 to go.

Caught up with lots of email and then stupidly transferred all the remaining messages out of my spoolfile. I've done this so often though, that I now have a special "transfer to a catch-the-accident" default, so they have gone somewhere I can find them again. Talk about work-arounds.

October 31st
Goodness. Tescos stuff arrived. I'm rather shocked.

Someone pointed out I didn't -need- fortify with Netscape 4.75 because it was no longer hobbled or something. Ahem. Oh well, we all make mistakes/fail to read the notes from time to time. Anyway, it still doesn't work with Tesco's page. Oddly enough, Tescos announced they were going to be Linux for some things. Clearly not "testing their webpages" though. There were no contact details on their website so I filled in the feedback form and asked for contact details about the right person to talk to. They have not responded.

I've been asked for a more obvious feedback route. So there you are! But please note: This should be clear from the above, but: I am not a kernel hacker. I am not an anything hacker. "Is this diary true?" will get answered. (It is.) "I have a problem compiling the brainsplat module under the pre-sliced option terminator; I am using the mutability framewedger on the standard infernalisation build" will not. (Well, it might be answered in a similar vein, but for a real answer, look elsewhere. It's much safer.)